Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wordle - Have you heard of it?

The graphic below is a Wordle I made. A Wordle is a "branded" word cloud. Take a look at my Wordle below. Can you see words that stand out? Can you draw some inferences or make some predictions based on the graphic you see below?



I've seen lots of word clouds recently. They aren't graphic organizers, but an analysis of words spoken or written by particular people at specific times or in certain places. A word cloud is a visual analysis which reveals some pretty interesting information. In fact, I just viewed one on the internet today that I found fascinating. It was a word cloud made from the last 8 State of the Nation addresses by George W. Bush. It, of course, looks much different than the one above. Below is the copy that was originally published at this website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7813432.stm.

I made mine today from all of my blog entries to date. I found it very interesting to look at. The words that stand out represent those words used the most often. I love this use of technology. It is a visual way of representing thinking which I find very thought provoking. We could probably learn much about our world (and history) through using it. As a teacher, I could think of lots of ways to use it across all of the content areas.

If you would like to play with this cool tool or look at lots of fascinating Wordle graphics, I urge you to go to the Wordle website. Click on my wordle below, and it will take you there. It is a completely free website. You can even name and post your wordle to the website. For teachers, writers, or armchair linguists of any kind, I think that Wordle is a very cool tool! Enjoy! The website is http://www.wordle.net/.

Wordle: School Change

1 comment:

Gary said...

This is really cool. I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up!